PDP-8/e front panels.

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 20:51:58 CDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>     > From: Rod Smallwood
>
>     > I have recently produced a number of high quality custom PDP8/e front
>     > panels.  They are full size reproductions of the original. The
>     > production methods are exactly as used in circa 1971.
>
> First, my sincere congratulations! This is a real contribution, and I doubt it
> was trivial to accomplish.
>
>     > I'll also instigate another batch of ten. .. If I get orders for more
>     > than ten then I'll bump up the second batch size accordingly.
>
> These sound so cool I'm tempted to buy one, even though I don't even own a
> PDP-8! :-)
>
>     > If there is a demand I'll do other 8's or 11's front panels that use
>     > the same plexiglas and silk screen technique.
>
> Someone mentioned -12's and -15's?

That would be me.

I have one -12 with a smashed front panel, and one -15 with the nasty
XVM sticky plastic sheet front panel that would look much better with
a plexiglass replacement! The -15s I have also all have the same nasty
sticky sheet for the peripherals blinkenlights - RP15 & FP15, see
http://www.corestore.org/15-2.htm - I'd like to replace those too.

(They are a real oddity; did ANY other DEC equipment use this kind of
blinkenlights panel, with cheap nasty sticky plastic sheet instead of
plexiglass? I've never seen them anywhere except pdp-15 XVM systems)

Mike

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'