VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Jun 9 11:10:33 CDT 2015

> On Jun 9, 2015, at 09:04, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
>
> On 2015-06-09 17:45, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>> Self-replying for another possibly-dumb question. Would any of the TU58 images below likely be full VMS installation images, as opposed to just updates and patches?
>>
>> http://iamvirtual.ca/VAX11/VAX-11-software.html
>
> If you by "full VMS installation" means the whole VMS distribution, as just opposed to the installation tools, then I don't think that was made available on TU58 since V4 or so.
> It would just be too many tapes...

Got it. Thanks!

> The standalone BACKUP system, however, should be available on TU58. And I can see V5.3 standalone BACKUP tapes in there at least.

Yes, I'm trying to boot those images in particular. No luck so far, but that may still be a tu58em compatibility issue, since I think I'm pushing it into untested areas. Doing a backup of the R80 onto emulated TU58 images seems like it would be pretty painful (if it's even supported by the standalone backup), but it's the only potential path to extracting the data that I've come up with so far, using things I have on hand.

>> If so, another option might be to make a fresh installation onto a blank RL02 (I think I have one), so I could then boot from that and try to examine what's on the R80.
>
> I do not think you can install VMS on an RL02. It's too small.

I think I saw reference of doing a "tailored install" onto RL02 media in a software installation manual (presumably cutting out lots of stuff to make it fit), but it's a moot point without having suitable installation media on hand.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/