Front Panel Update

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 16:15:38 CDT 2015

> > DEC was very keen on its OEM business and if the order was big enough would allow some variation in
> > colours but would not allow the dec logo to be removed or changed.

> I’m not sure if that’s completely true.  I remember a PDP11 (11/45 probably) at the University of Illinois, around

I am pretty sure I once saw a PDP8/e which was absolutely normal internally, but where the front panel was
green (as were the switch handles) and it was badged 'Varian'. I don't remember a Digital logo on the
front anywhere.

> Not allowing the logo to be changed would make sense, since that is one of the rules of trademarks: you risk
> losing a trademark if you don’t use it consistently, for example if you create or allow variations of what was
> registered.

IANAL (and it may well be country-dependant) but wouldn't this imply that badge-engineered devices coudl result
in loss of trademarks.

-tony