Blue tape retainers

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Tue Jun 9 17:01:38 CDT 2015

On 6/9/2015 2:54 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
>   > foam blocks ... hated the things we just tucked one end of the tape
>   > under the tape ring and snapped it shut seems things stayed in place
>   > nicely and no foam outgassing under the seal of the tape ring.
>
> Those of us with autoload drives despised you. :)
>
> Well, ok, the 3420 drives probably did ok regardless; you do get
> something for the money (and mass) of a blue drive.
>
> The Cipher streamers often choked on these, though.
>
> De
The blue, white, or yellow material felt like and worked like latex.  It
may have had some treatment to make it have the tactile adhesion you
felt, but it left zero residue on the tape despite the adhesion to the
mylar backing on the tape.

When you stretched it it lost the property to stick to the tape, by the
way, so shrinkage may be the culprit if they quit working.  I find that
the Writghtline seals work the best if the tapes were not and are not
hung with them.  Eventually the white material will fail, or the black
lock will break, but they are by far the longest lasting other than just
a clear box container.

thanks
Jim