Pertec Tape Drive Interface Musings

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jun 10 03:39:14 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-10 09:47, Dave G4UGM wrote:
> Mark,
>
>    Traditional 9-track tapes are always written block-by block with a "short"
> gap between the records, WikiPedia say 0.6" for 1600BPI which sounds about
> right. From what I remember as tapes are not the most reliable medium the
> process was to have the read head after the write head so the tape could be
> read and checked as it was written. If an error was returned the "system"
> would backspace, erase the bad block to create a "long gap" and the try
> again. Looking at the first MAN page for TAR I found it says it writes
> 20x512 byte blocks so 10K blocks, i.e. about 6.4" long. That means a "waste"
> of 10% of the tape in gaps, assuming the tape is perfect.  You can write
> longer blocks but then the amount of wastage when you write a bad block goes
> up.

I don't think it really is that you have a long gap when you rewrite a
"bad" block per se. But you get long gaps when you stop/start. And a
rewrite implies that you will get a stop/start situation.
But in case you already were going stop/start, the gap will not be
extended any longer.

You want to stream the tape, meaning you both get short gaps, and also
much higher transfer rates, as the stop/start really cause the tape to
be slow.
But for streaming mode to work, you need to feed data to the tape fast
enough. And with that, I mean that when one block operation is finished,
the command for the next one needs to happen very quickly, or else the
tape will need to stop.

This also means that you do not always have a short gap with an error
free tape. The gap size depends on whether the tape was running at speed
or not, when the write starts.

> So I guess to answer your question. Operating systems and tools expect a
> block level interface to tapes. You need to duplicate this in your
> interface.

Yes. Just as systems expects a block level interface to disks.
The "stream of bytes" concept is in many cases an artificial construct
handled by the OS (Unix), and not the hardware.

	Johnny