Pertec Tape Drive Interface Musings

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jun 10 14:28:31 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-10 11:00, Dave G4UGM wrote:

> [...]

You misunderstood me. It's not that you do not get a larger gap, but you
can get a large gap even without an error. It's not an explicit error
recovery strategy, but a fallout from having to stop, rewind, start and
write again.

>> But you get long gaps when you stop/start.
>
> Not on Vacuum Column drives. The columns provide enough mechanical buffering to start and stop within the Inter Record Gap.

The mechanical buffering don't have anything to do with this. It's a
question of how fast you get the tape up to speed across the heads.
Now, admittedly, vacuum column tape drives have an advantage that you
don't have to accelerate the reels that violently, since the vacuum
columns gives you some time to speed up the reels. But the acceleration
of the tape across the head is simply a question of friction of the
drive wheel for that section of the tape, and the mass of the tape itself.

However, since vacuum column tapes have a much higher tape speed across
the heads than direct drive or spring tensioned tape drives, you get
into the same cat and mouse game anyway. Acceleration of tape across the
heads is the issue. How much tape will pass before you reach top
velocity, and how precise is this? A larger gap allows for more
variation. If the tape is already running at full speed, and you are
just continuously writing, then you can easily control how long gap you
create, and can create minimal ones.

	Johnny