First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Jun 12 10:00:37 CDT 2015

> Thanks, that works! I also turned off write lock, which makes it happier.

Great :-)

> Wow, that boot sure takes forever. What the heck is it *doing* for all of
> that time? :)

If you want speed, you need an Alpha, not a VAX :-)

There could be all sorts of stuff in the startup file
(SYS$STARTUP:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM) that you don't need.

Going back to an earlier version of VMS should help too - V7.3 probably has
all sorts of stuff that is more appropriate on a later, faster VAX.

> And at the moment, it's still booting, as I sip my morning coffee. Just
> started printing like heck and beeping... Ah, it's printing all of the
> licenses that have terminated. Maybe I should have lied about the date? Looks
> like the hostname is PIKE. Sure glad my iPhone boots more quietly.

You can get a free hobbyist license if you join whatever DECUS is called now.

> VMS use not authorized on this node. I sure hope it won't enforce that
> before I can try a backup!

It will allow SYSTEM to login on the console without a license.

> Finally! A login prompt! And no clue about the passwords. Uh, how can I shut
> this beast down without a  valid login? !?

You can't.  Just halt it or turn it off.  VMS won't mind.  None of that
sync / fsck stuff required.  The filing system is already consistent (that's
one of the reasons it's boots so slow...)

If you look for a copy of the VMS FAQ on the net, there should be a section
on how to reset passwords.  Here's a quick summary of one method:

SET VAXCLUSTER 0
SET /STARTUP OPA0:
SET WRITESYSPARAMS 0
CONTINUE

When you get a $ prompt, enter (carefully, without any typos or you get to
start all over again):

SET NOON
SPAWN /NOWAIT SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.COM

When the startup finishes, press enter again and you should get back to
your $ prompt.

SET DEFAULT SYS$SYSTEM
RUN AUTHORIZE
MODIFY SYSTEM /PASSWORD=<new password> /NOPWDEXP /NOPWDLIFE
EXIT
LOGOUT

Then login in.

When you want to shut down gracefully: