TRS80, other than model 1

Peter Cetinski pete at pski.net
Sat Jun 13 13:53:28 CDT 2015

I always wonder what the rational was on the "6000" name.  I understand Tandy wanted to move away from the "TRS-80” name, hence the "Tandy 6000”, but it was really just a slightly enhanced TRS-80 Model 16B.  Now, the “16” name makes sense…16-bit OS support on the added cards.  Of course. at the same time, Tandy had the x86 series with the 1000, 2000. etc.  Giving the machine a name of 6000 makes it seem like it was supposed to be their top-of-the-line machine.  Now many (including me) would argue that it actually was their top-of-the-line machine since it ran multi-user Xenix.  However,  I’ve read that at that point that Tandy had little interest in continuing the Z80 lineage Model II line so why would they give it a name with such prominence above all of their new x86 lines?