First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Jun 14 03:25:21 CDT 2015

I'm still fumbling around with the multi-tape backup of the R80 drive and haven't quite gotten it working yet. But I've made some other good progress! That RL02 pack labeled "VMS53RL02SYS" does contain a working VMS 5.3 installation. I backed it up to tape while booted from the R80, then did a conversational boot on it to reset the SYSTEM password. Now I boot from that pack while trying to get the backup of the R80 drive working, so I can have the R80 drive mounted read-only.

I also ran off recursive directory listings of both drives while logging in my terminal emulator, so I can go through them later to see if anything interesting is in there.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/