First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sun Jun 14 04:36:28 CDT 2015

> Thanks! I'll look up all of those commands to understand them better.
>
> ^Y looks familiar. I think this is the second time I have learned about it. :)
>

> > On Jun 13, 2015, at 18:40, Jerry Weiss <jsw at ieee.org> wrote:
> >
> > If you are running backup and it is asking for additional tapes, then I believe you can do the following
> >
> > ^Y
> > $spawn
> > $
> > $reply/enable=all

Another way is to log on a second time using a terminal other than the console,
issue reply/enable and then reply to the messages you receive there.

Yet another way is to use BACKUP /NOASSIST - this should avoid issueing
OPCOM messages and prompt the issuer of the BACKUP command directly when tapes
are to be changed and so on.

The standard way of doing backups on VMS is to submit a BACKUP command in a
batch job.  The operator would normally be logged in interactively and would
respond to the OPCOM messages from the batch job and deal with tape mounts.
This requires a suitable batch queue to be set up and started.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.