using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Jun 15 05:06:48 CDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 11:52:28AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> We're talking about putting in a rather complex computer to generate
> a baud rate. Are people really that handicapped when it comes to
> building hardware nowadays?

Speaking for myself, yes.

I have a Teensy 2.0 lying at my desk, it's Arduino compatible. I have
the development environemnt set up, a small solderless breadboard and
proper power supply. I could probably whip up the C-code for a flicking
pin on and off in the correct pace in very little time.

Now, if the alternative is reading up on crystals, oscillators, dividers
and related support chips, figure out where to buy and then wait for the
parts to ship, which option do you think I will choose?

Of course, I think it's overkill and anachronistic and I'd rather use
the Teensy for something else, so I'd probably read up and do it "right"
too.

/P