FPGA tricks - Re: using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jun 15 11:21:56 CDT 2015

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 09:18, ben <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
> But alas the software does *not* support the older chips.
> You want to make a mod 5 years down the road, sorry we do not
> support that model any more. TTL needs to  be stock piled
> now for the next +50 years.

Good point. Just as TTL needs to be stockpiled, I think we should be in a habit of archiving virtual machines containing development software installed in a compatible operating system, so the software can still hopefully be used long after the original machines are obsolete. Much like we often use SIMH now for maintenance tasks to help bring up old machines that no longer live in an ecosystem of similar machines.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/