using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 23:10:48 CDT 2015

> > Why not do it properly first time? What is the rush in bringing up a classic computer? And for a test,
> > use the TTL pulse generator you have on your bench.
>
> I don't have one. I have a lot of test equipment, but mostly for RF work. If I needed to generate TTL pulses, I'd
> probably pull out a microcontroller development board of some sort, because that's what I have sitting around.

And you don't have any NPN transistors around? With one you could buffer the output of your sig-gen to
TTL levels.

> No, I have neither 2N3904s nor NE555s in my spares. I could replace an M1 Carbine trigger spring on the spot,

Amazing.... Those are about the most common components around. I think I buy 2N3904s in lots of 1000, I use
so many of them

[...]

> capabilities, so not everybody will do things the same way that you do. Should I criticize you for not having SAE

FWIW I do have Bristol spline keys here. Needs for working on IBM and Friden machines for a start.

FWIW, this is not the miltary or firearms list, so I wouldn't expect people to necessarily have the
equipment and spares for such things (if you do, fine). It is the classiccmp list, where some people, including
your good self restore the actual old machines. And yes, I think it is is reasonable to assume they will
have access to common (very common) electronic components.

-tony