using new technology on old machines

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 08:54:56 CDT 2015

> Sure, the pre-manufactured boards can allow you to prototype quickly... but
> I think Tony is kind of bemoaning the loss of the "old way" and I respect
> that ... I kind of miss it myself, even though I wasn't there to experience
> it first-hand ...

It's also that this is the 'classic computers' list. To me, classic computing means rather
more than just the hardware. It also covers the design and construction methods, technology
and so on. And there seems to be precious little of that in a modern microcontroller acting
as a clock oscillator.

I find it odd that people want to have a lights-and-switches panel, but are prepared to totally
adulterate the hardware of the machine that drives it.

As an aside, when I restore m 11/730 I am in 2 minds as to what to do about the microcode load
device. a TU58 emulator is certainly convenient, but I actually would rather get the real tape drives
working if at all possible. After all that is what the machine was designed to use.

> How are everyone's parts bins so empty? My dad is a practicing EE of over

Mine isn't, but then you knew that, right :-). When I moved house recently I think I had
over 30 packing boxes of modern-ish components and more of valves and CRTs. Not
counting the dozen or so boxes of PCBs (some to use, some to raid for parts).

-tony