using new technology on old machines

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Jun 16 09:18:49 CDT 2015

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 06:54, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> As an aside, when I restore m 11/730 I am in 2 minds as to what to do about the microcode load
> device. a TU58 emulator is certainly convenient, but I actually would rather get the real tape drives
> working if at all possible. After all that is what the machine was designed to use.

I'll consider using my real TU58 drive instead of an emulator when I find a working TU58 cartridge. So far, that is foreign to my experience. :(

I've cleaned up my drive and replaced the capstan rubber, and I think my drive is probably just fine. The problem is the media, which in my opinion was a poor mechanical design when new. I also thoroughly distrust the similar mechanism of the larger QIC tapes.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/