O/S design & implementation - was Re: FPGA tricks - Re: using new technology on old machines

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jun 16 09:53:37 CDT 2015

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 7:10 PM, Sean Caron <scaron at umich.edu> wrote:

> 4. Madnick/Donovan Operating Systems or Donovan's Systems Programming ...
> were, I imagine, the canon of the 70s and early 80s ... these are written
> mostly with the S/360 in mind …

If it’s written with 360 operating systems in mind, I’d steer clear.  I don’t know of much in the way of valuable OS design principles to be found there (except perhaps the lessons reported in “the mythical man month” or in Tom Watson’s famous anecdote about the size of the CDC 6600 development effort).

	paul