using new technology on old machines

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Wed Jun 17 01:47:18 CDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:52:23PM +1200, Mike Ross wrote:

> Has this ever been seriously considered, or mooted as a possible
> co-operative venture for a group of us?

I see it on the small scale all the time. Such as Rod's new front panels
for the 8/e. Or the various replica kits for early micros.

One computer I could imagine would sparc interest is a new PDP-6. Not
sure how that would materialise.

I have a theory as to why it hasn't happened yet though. And that is
lack of skill. Take an average sized Swedish town and you can probably
scrounge up a fair amount of welders, carpenters, painters and
metalworkers willing to work on a fun medium to large scale project such
as restoring trains, cars and even whole factories. And given the number of
"industry heritage" museums in Sweden it's a fairly big group.

But finding the a good sized group of people with the right skills for
wirewrapping a large scale backplane and populating it with period
correct hardware... much harder I think.

There are other problems too, finding a big chunk of metal to machine a
new crankshaft is not so hard. Where do you find enough germanium
transistors for a PDP-6 (I'm guessing that is what was used, and I'm
also guessing that they are less common today, please correct me if I'm
wrong)

I would love to work on such a project though!

/P