OT? Compaq 5/60M

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Wed Jun 17 09:54:26 CDT 2015

I'd consider it OT ... I miss my IBM 9595 ... with the P60 processor
complex ... I thought it was doubly cool since the CPU was one of the
examples of the Pentium that got shipped with the FDIV bug ... great
machine to play with WNT 3.51/4, or OS/2 3.x or 4.x.

I wouldn't say the P5 killed workstations or midrange ... they had maybe
10-15 years yet to move and shake when the P5 first hit the market ... but
I suppose you are right in that it was probably the first "shot across the
bow".

But time marched on, and now all you see in a full-size computer is x86_64.
Ho hum ... :|

Best,

Sean