Printer ribbons [Was: Re: 1990 Era computer room]

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 24 23:04:49 CDT 2015

On 06/24/2015 07:40 PM, steven at malikoff.com wrote:
> I recall the ink was thicker and more oily than modern inkjet ink,
> sort of like what a stamp pad has.

Yup, about five years ago, I gave away mine on the Vintage Computer
forum.  It had very little mileage on it, mostly because of the mess.
There are stamp pad inkers that use a very fine mesh that allows the ink
to seep through gradually.  I've re-inked ribbons that way with better
success than with the Mac Inker (which I believe is still being
offered--"Computer Friends" I think is the outfit).

Then there's the old WD-40 and plastic bag trick...

--Chuck