Megaprocessor - built from individual transistors

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Thu Jun 25 08:39:05 CDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 04:16:03AM -0700, David Griffith wrote:

> I don't think thatt making the flip-chips double-sided will be
> desirable.  I want to shrink the machine and minimize any need
> to reengineer the backplane.  By the way, can the backplane of
> a straight-eight be realized as a PCB?  Replicating that
> component without that will suck.

I've not chosen that restriction and would not mind rerouting
the backplane if it means 1. that I can shrink the design and 2.
if it means I can fit it on a multilayer PCB of suitable size.

Now, I've looked at the backplane of a PDP-12 and it looks to be
4 or 5 levels deep at the most and fairly "roomy". So, with my
limited experience it doesn't seem impossible to recreate in a 4
layer PCB. I'm not sure what would be a suitable edge connector
though, that would probably dictate the size of the flip chips
more than anything.

Please correct me if I'm talking complete bulls**t. This is all
new to me.

/P