AT&T terminal keyboards?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 21:56:49 CDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Ken Seefried <seefriek at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
>>I just picked up a couple of AT&T terminals, a 730+ and a 5620 "Blit"
>>terminal.
>
> Some people have *all* the luck.

I used to work at Bell Labs/Lucent/Western Electric in Columbus.
Someone else who worked there that I still have lunch with regularly
was cleaning out his garage...

>>I read on one of the several FAQs that I can use an AT&T 4410 terminal
>>keyboard with the 730+.
>
> It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure the keyboard is the same across
> the AT&T 600 & 700 series terminal lines.  I'm pretty sure the 4410 is the
> same.

That's what I've been reading.  I just don't have anything remotely of the sort.

> Not sure if anyone has tried to build it in a decade or so, but it did at
> one time build on BSD 4.x.  Obviously SVr3 and SVr4 are easier.  No idea
> about Linux, but I suspect it would be painful.

I wasn't going to force it onto Linux... I am pretty sure I have all
the discs for Interactive UNIX for the 386/486 hanging around, though.
That should be SYSVish and not so painful.

>>but for now, I've got a couple
>>old terminals that are entirely unlike any of the DEC terminals I have,
> so that by itself is cool.
>
> Rub it in :-)

If you want to buy a DEC terminal and happen to be going to VCFmw at
the end of August, I would bring one out.  They are somewhat heavy to
ship and need a very large box.

-ethan