Recommendation for a PROM burner

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Sat Mar 14 05:11:13 CDT 2015

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 03/13/2015 06:51 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>
>> I use a Xeltek Superpro/Z, which supports most EPROMS going way back.
>> It supports the 2732, and may support some 16K EPROMS, too. You won't
>> find ANYTHING that supports 1702 devices, they needed 80 V to program.
>
> Well, as with any tool, it depends on what you're planning on doing.
>
> Do you foresee the need to program PALs?  GALs?  MCUs?
>
> How about testing old TTL packages?
>
> Do you need program the old 3-rail EPROMs? (e.g. 2704, 2708)?
>
> I like the Xeltek Superpro as well.  I'm a little shy about the Chinese
> USB models because you don't know what the heck is in them.  But you
> can't beat the price.  Some folks like the Willem-based programmers.

Most of the Chinese made programmers I've seen have been either outright
copies or variations of Willem's designs. I seem to remember some of his
later board versions used a relay which would allow them to program
devices that required more current during programming.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090501014807/http://www.willem.org/