Qbus split I&D?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:32:19 CDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove
<captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:
> True, SRAM would be cheaper...  a massive upgrade to the PDP-11/70s performance
> in place of its normal MOS memory or core memory

You can get some pretty fast SRAM for not much money, and 4MB isn't
"that much" in terms of part count.

I'd love to replace an MK11 and several cards with that PEP70, but I
doubt I'll ever see one.

As for MRAM, unless you have a full front panel, I don't think
non-volatility is as important as raw performance.  Sure... it's nice
to be able to walk up and turn the key (I do that on a PDP-8/L with
power-fail restart) but really... how hard is it to log in, shut down
the OS then power off?  I'd rather have a faster machine while I'm
using it.

-ethan