Huge IBM 1800 find (and need some help)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Mar 21 11:35:39 CDT 2015

On 03/21/2015 03:56 AM, Lawrence Wilkinson wrote:
> Well done Johannes!
>
> I guess you have the Physical Planning manual from
> Bitsavers. 907kg seems a bit much - but maybe if it's
> fully optioned. Yes, power supplies are heavy, frames are
> heavy, motors are heavy.
>
> If they got it up there it must be possible to get it out!
> From my time dismantling and reassembling the Model 30 I
> would say it's not designed to be dismantled on-site.
YOU'RE the guy who put the 360/30 on a 2nd floor office!  My
hat's off to you!  Incredible story, I have it archived on
my computer.

Actually, I think the 1800 is quite modular, each cabinet
will separate pretty cleanly, with a couple cables and some
bolts.  These won't be light, but a LOT lighter and more
manageable than even a 360/30.  I'm pretty sure a few guys
could get this down a flight of stairs one cabinet at a time
without great difficulty.
> It can be done, of course, and I suggest copious
> photographs before the during the process. I stripped the
> CPU down to a bare frame, but maybe you don't need to go
> that far. It will be in manageable sub-units, but they're
> likely to be solidly wired together rather than with
> convenient connectors.

No, as I say, it was quite modular.  (Not an 1800 expert,
but I know just a little about that system.)

Jon