SGI Indigo2 graphics options

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:30:27 CDT 2015

On 03/29/2015 05:57 PM, David Williams wrote:
> You should be able to power the machine up without drives or graphics
> options. If no keyboard is detected, all console IO is directed to the
> first serial port.

... and, we're up and running. No immediate problems, apart from a broken
connector on the sled for the CDROM drive, which is really a non-issue
right now as there's no CDROM drive in the machine anyway (and the disks
have a viable OS).

The High Impact board set has the optional 4MB of texture RAM, so I'll be
looking for a copy of Quake 2 to run on it :-) It's got 384MB of RAM, which
is likely a healthy amount; I think 512MB was the official max on these
(and it sounds like they'd take a bit more with 128MB modules), but it
already gets pretty toasty in there with the graphics options that it has.

Oh, it turns out that it's an ex-Cray system. It looks like it's still got
Cray-related data on there, but whether it's anything
useful/interesting/non-sensitive etc. remains to be seen.

cheers

Jules