Computers_With_BASIC_in_ROM / was Re: Texas Instruments CC-40 won't boot

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun May 3 10:07:49 CDT 2015

> >  I mostly got it because I wanted to try out the BASIC on it so I could update the list of computers with BASIC in
> > ROM that I started on Wikipedia.
> >
> >    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:FozzTexx/List_of_Computers_With_BASIC_in_ROM
>

> You're missing the HP 9830 (which would be the first, 1972). (full tokenisation if I have your meaning correct, FP
> support)
>
> The Wang 2000 (mid 70s) would be another I believe, if I have the model/series correct - others can speak to that > one better than I can.

The Exidy Sorceror had BASIC as a plug-in ROM cartridge I believe. If you are including that one, I think the
Atari 400 and 800 belong on the list too.

Brent has mentioned the HP9830. There is also the HP9831 (==HP9825 with BASIC not HPL in ROM) and the
HP9845. I think the HP9835 has BASIC in ROM too, but I don't own one to check. Should you include the
HP9000/200 machines (HP9816, HP9817, HP9826, HP9836, HP9920)? Although they normally boot from
disk, there was a BASIC ROM board available.

Dragon 32 and 64 (not quite TRS-80 CoCo clones).
(and IIRC the enhancements to CoCo3 BASIC were written by Microware, not Microsoft).

Camputers Lynx (which had floating point line numbers I believe!)

Tektronix 4051, 4052, 4054 (and probably other Tektronix machines)

Research Machines RML480Z. I think there was a BASIC ROM PCB for the 380Z too, but I've
never seen it.

Grundy Newbrain A, AD, M

-tony