Cassette tape data recovery

Rik Bos hp-fix at xs4all.nl
Mon May 4 06:25:40 CDT 2015

If you're talking about compact cassettes, like C60/C90 or the data variant
like the Philips LGH 6003, they hold remarkable good.
I've some original HP cassettes for the HP 9830A which are from the early
seventies, all of them hold their data and are working perfect.
The only thing is the cushion which presses the tape to the head, sometimes
they used foam for those. You should replace them .
If you have a normal cassette recorder (old one) you could remove the head
and spool (slow speed) the tape some times to see if it's spools smoothly.
If it doesn't spool smoothly, open op the tape and replace the housing, that
should do the trick.
Copying will another problem because you will need a drive with the same
head configuration, you could try to use an audio card to digitize the tape
and store it for later use.
NB. Use gloves when you handle the tape, to prevent dead spots on the tape.

-Rik