old control data drives

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu May 7 21:35:58 CDT 2015

On 2015-May-07, at 2:52 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 05/07/2015 01:45 PM, Todd Killingsworth wrote:
>> Like this?  1200 POUNDS?  Yikes!
>>
>> http://www.vintchip.com/DOCUMENTS/CONTROLDATA600-1B.jpg
>>

> Really great (7 track) drives; substantially over-engineered as compared to, say, a 65x drive.  The 604 wasn't quite as fast as the look=alike 607, but nothing to sneeze at.  If you've got  160A, 3000-series or 6000-series machine (and associated controller), it'd be a really great drive to have.

Museum pic:

	http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/382511/tape-transport-control-data-3200-computer-system-tape-transport-model-604-circa-1962

I still think full-size vacuum-column drives are the coolest things, but I expect these ones are nowhere near me.
Breaking them into pieces would be heresy - I suspect they'll find a destination given the value of old-mainframe-anything these days.