Dead RF31 DSSI Disk..

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon May 11 11:08:02 CDT 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Charles Dickman <chd at chdickman.com> wrote:

> DSSI drives are intelligent and can be accessed from VAX firmware utility.
> I have done this with KFQSA, KA650, and RF71. Drive has internal operating
> system with a command prompt, diagnostics, etc.

The RF drive built in utilities and diagnostics are described here:
RF Series Integrated Storage Element User Guide
Order Number: EK-RF72D-UG-008
http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/mds-199909/cd3/disk/rf72dug8.pdf

Note however if the fault LED is on you might not be able to access
the drive at all to run the utilities and diagnostics:

Theory of Operation 2-33
If the controller portion of the ISE is not
functioning, the fault LED on the drive module and the
fault LED on the operator control panel turn on (Figure
2-19). Also, the ISE is not visible on the DSSI bus.
The failing component, in this case, is the drive
module itself, because it houses the controller
electronics.