Dead RF31 DSSI Disk.. final Question..

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Tue May 12 04:55:25 CDT 2015

Holm Tiffe wrote:

> > Jarratt RMA wrote:
> >
> > [..]

> > > As it is Dutch I may not be able to read it, but if you could post the link
> > > it might still  be helpful.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Rob
> >

> > :-)
> >
> > http://www.josvandijken.nl/computer_dec_microvax_3400.php
> >
> > The first "Log" window shows what is the problem (A508) and the text
> > after that window says that the disk got some pedagogic kick and after that
> > it decided to work again..
> >
> > Can't read dutch, but it has similarities to german. Google translates
> > it to something unreadable..
> >
> > I'll try that pedagogic kick first..
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Holm
>

> Yes guys, it's true.
> I've successfully "repaired" the drive with an careful hit from a
> rubber-hammer! It seems that this way a stick headassemble gets free'd up
> again.
> The drive is online now, no more Fault LED.
> I'm currently let the drive exerciser run on it.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Holm

Ok, the disk passed the tests with ok.

I've tried to boot something from DIA0 DIA1 and DIA2..nosurchfile so the
disks seems to be empty.

Now I think about a reformat of the drives, but there is no such procedure.
There is an erase program that should rewrite eachs sector with several
patterns. I'll think that it will do the job.
Does an format programm exists "in the field"  or is something like thisi
proprietary to DEC?

Regards,

Holm

..going to fix the psu now (H7874-00)