Dead RF31 DSSI Disk.. A508 SOLVED!

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue May 12 10:36:28 CDT 2015

    Holm Tiffe wrote:

    > Yes guys, it's true.
    > I've successfully "repaired" the drive with an careful hit from a
    > rubber-hammer!

I am pretty blown away! Hard to believe that a disk can be fixed with that
kind of treatment!

But I shouldn't be. Remember that scene in one of the early Stars Wars movies
where they go to make the jump to hyperspace (or something like that), and
nothing happens, and Hans gets up and whacks the bulkhead in a very
particular spot, and then it works?

I first saw that movie with a couple of people from the MIT computer lab, and
we were all convulsed with laughter at that scene. One of our mainframes had
a sticky power relay, and when you hit the 'power off' on the front console,
nothing would happen. So you'd walk around to the back of the machine, open a
door, and give a particular box a good whack in a particular way with your
fist, and it would power off.

Some things just never change!

	Noel