54 TK50 tapes on eBay

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Sun May 17 14:40:12 CDT 2015

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Mark J. Blair
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 9:29 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: 54 TK50 tapes on eBay

Well, $55 with free shipping is close enough! I bought the card, which I
could always use in my 11/44 project, too.

Now I'm trying to learn about the drives. I understand the TUK50 board has a
26ish-pin header for the drive cable. I see an ugly-looking TK50D external
drive on eBay, but it appears to have a 50-pin D connector. There are also
some TK50Z SCSI (?) external drives listed, which I presume are not
applicable. Maybe I'd need to get an internal drive and cobble together a
power source.

> On May 17, 2015, at 12:24, Henk Gooijen <henk.gooijen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I could not resist ... a quick search did not find a TUK-50 ...
> Note that the M7546 is for QBUS.  Saw a few of those, ranging
> from some $25 (acceptable) to $799.99 (way insane crazy!)

That's because I just bought the only M7547 listed! ;)
--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/

-----
Congrats, I cannot remember sales below $50 for a TUK-50 module.
This is from (old) memory cells, so I could be wrong ...
AFAIK, the external box-based drives (whether the box contained a
TK50, TK70, or RD5x) always used a 50-pin 3-row D shell connector.
When the TK50 is inside the cabinet it is a smaller cable - 26 pin
could be it. As said, I can check next Saturday, but other readers
sure can answer this one too.
With the TK50 in the cabinet you need a PSU, the external TK50D
would be a good source. The PSU is nothing special though ...

TK50Z drives are OK with a DECstation or VAXstation (?) or XXXserver,
their interface is indeed SCSI. Not 100% sure, I'd need to RTFM a bit.

- Henk, PA8PDP