Wanted: stand for NeXT monitor

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Thu May 28 10:20:50 CDT 2015

It was always my experience ... I think NeXTstep had a reputation of being
a little balky on the proprietary NeXT hardware. I am fortunate to have a
decent swath of their product line ... an original '030 Cube, a Color slab
and a Turbo Color slab and even on the Turbo slab with 32 megs RAM and a
7200 RPM drive, NS 3.3 gets laggy.

Slow as it is, the entire package has certainly got some class and it's
something to revel at, of course.

Can you even run Openstep on the NeXT proprietary hardware? The performance
must be awful... I halfway thought NS 3.3 was the last revision they would
run ... 3.3 should be pretty common in the wild because NeXT was giving it
away for free with a valid NeXT serial number about 15 years ago as a Y2K
mitigation strategy :O I run 3.3 on all my NeXTs, even the '030 Cube.

If you really want to see NeXTstep 3.3 fly, people say it's great on the HP
9000/712 :O

Best,

Sean