Wanted: stand for NeXT monitor

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Fri May 29 10:50:28 CDT 2015

I don't buy it :O Maybe just navigating around the operating system it's
true you won't see it balk too much, but once you run an app ... take
OmniWeb; it takes a few minutes to render my simple HTML 3.2 homepage on my
NeXTstation color slab, 040/25, 32 megs RAM ... the turbo color slab isn't
much faster ...

Contrast to a contemporary Mac i.e. a Quadra 950 or a Mac IIfx, they will
render the page faster and feel more responsive. I love the elegance and
design of the NeXT hardware and software package but no denying it was
pokey ... relative to contemporaries ... almost absolutely :O

NeXTstep is a sophisticated environment and it's hard work for an '040 ...

Maybe I feel it more because it's slinging 24 bpp at ~1280x1024! You have a
mono station?

NeXTstep's (err, Rhapsody's, err, Mac OS X's) performance was awful when
first ported to the PPC as well. I don't think they really got things
cleaned up good until 10.2, at least, maybe 10.3...

Best,

Sean