SCA drives - any interest?

Zane Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Nov 2 09:37:41 CST 2015

On Nov 1, 2015, at 12:46 PM, "Mike Stein" <mhs.stein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just asking: Any interest in 80-pin SCA drives, Ultra 3 and Ultra320 in various capacities, both IBM and HP/Compaq 'caddies' ?

I don't need any, but if anyone can get their hands on JBOD boxes that use these, they're fantastic drives.

I was lucky enough to get several Andataco 3-Drive JBOD boxes (I passed on the 7-drive units as to big, heavy, noisy, and power hungry).  These are great for OpenVMS/Alpha and Sun systems, and provide a cheap way to get decent sized SCSI drives, as most people can't use them.  I had a couple of the 3-Drive units and a DEC BA350 shelf running in our dining room for several years (the BA350 was on a VAX).

My most recent score was some brand new 300GB SCA drives. :-)  They'll allow me to take my Alpha down to two HD's and drastically shrink its power requirements.

Zane