RF08/RS08 photos and panel measurements (Re: RK11-C Panel)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sun Nov 1 19:02:10 CST 2015

On 10/30/2015 8:07 AM, Mattis Lind wrote:

>> No, not looking for a reproduction.  Just posted it in case it would help
>> folks with a possible RK11-C display panel concept.
>>

> Interesting. We also have a RF08 / RS08 combo. It came with two PDP-8/L
> machines. I am not sure if both PDP-8/L CPUs were connected to the RF08
> simultaneously or how it was connected once upon a time since all cabling
> has been removed prior to us getting to it. The front panel look exactly
> the same. The drive and controller sits in a full height cabinet with the
> drive in the middle and the controller at the top.

That matches the arrangement in the document I referred to.  I doubt
very much that they would have both been connected.  Presumably just one
of them.  The manual I had might give you some clues - according to the
manual it is compatible with an PDP-8/I, PDP-8/L, LINC-8 and PDP-12.
So it is probably just a matter of connecting it to the 8/L on the bus
properly and making sure the bus is properly terminated.  See Figure 2-5
in the doc, and compare the signals with the 8/L bus connectors, I suppose.

> What is the plan with your RF08/ RS08? Is it possible to get it complete or
> is just parts? The RS08 seems to be a DF32 on steroids. The question is if
> it would be possible to have our unit working some day? Anyone tried to get
> these things to run?

I would think you could probably get yours working - if the platter and
heads are OK.

When I was younger and more foolish, I didn't realize that I had
basically the entire thing.  So I disassembled the drive itself.  ( 8P
Stoooopid mistake, I know).  I still have the platter, motor, shock
mounts etc., but I don't think I have the housing cover or the base
plate - though I haven't gone and looked for them.

I think I have all of the electronics, power supplies, some of the heads
(but probably not all of them).

So, I don't have any hope of getting mine running.  I would be happy to
part with it at a reasonable price, but am not really interested in
shipping them - it would be a very time consuming endeavor for me, and
likely very expensive for any buyer to ship the pieces.

JRJ