IBM z890

Connor Krukosky connork at connorsdomain.com
Mon Nov 2 21:53:04 CST 2015

On 11/2/2015 10:34 PM, Peter Cetinski wrote:
> So you bought a new electric furnace for the house, huh?  :)
Quite literally yes I did, because the basement and first floor does not
have HVAC yet!
Only the second and third floors do!

On 11/2/2015 10:15 PM, Mike Ross wrote:
> Congratulations! Mainframes are fun!
Thanks and yes they are :)
> One does not boot a mainframe; one IPLs it. :)
I totally knew this but somehow forgot such terminology while writing
this email. *facepalm*
> I can't advise you as to the other boxes. From my Linux experience on
> mainframe I can say it doesn't seem to boo... IPL any differently to
> any other mainframe OS. If you can define the device to the mainframe
> and issue an IPL command, you *should* be able to IPL anything I think?
Hm ok, I will have to do some more research on the storage front then.
What I have been told is that you can IPL Linux over a SAN but not any
IBM OS.
But if IPLing shouldn't be any different then maybe you can't IPL from a
SAN at all which I wouldn't be surprised at.

-Connor K