PILOT (was youtube video of a runnning XDS Sigma mainframe with lots of nice peripherals)

Rick Bensene rickb at bensene.com
Mon Nov 9 08:55:35 CST 2015

> Brad Parker wrote:
>
> That, and the newspaper printed versions of DDJ featuring some teaching
> language (pilot?) in HP basic, caused me to pursue software with a
> vengeance.

Yup, the language was indeed PILOT, which was a language focused on  CAI (Computer Assisted Instruction).    It was written in BASIC (a pretty large series of programs) on the HP Timeshared BASIC system.  It was used quite a bit in the Chemistry and Math curriculums at the high school I went to run courseware for these classes.   It annoyed us computer guys, as it meant more kids coming in to compete for the online 33ASR TTYs!

Rick Bensene
The Old Calculator Museum
http://oldcalculatormuseum.com