VT100 - FUN

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 12:00:36 CST 2015

> I remember joining DEC in early October 1973. At the time I was working
> for a small local company called Newbury Labs.

When I was an undergraduate at Cambridge University (1985-1988) they were
still using (somewhat later) Newbury terminals on the mainframe. Due to the
metal cases they were often known as 'biscuit tins'.

I rescued one when they were being cleared out, I probably still have it somewhere.
It has a separate keyboard (just an array of switches) and I think has a VT131-like
editing mode (probably totall different commands though). I remember inside there's
a monitor PCB on the back of the upper part of the case and one or two boards
full of logic. Probably a microprocessor in there, and quite a bit of TTL. I remember
some 74181 ALUs (of all things!)

-tony