NeXTSTEP 3.3 Web Browser

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Wed Nov 11 13:42:51 CST 2015

On Nov 11, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently got a NeXTstation Turbo running NeXTSTEP 3.3 (with patch 2
> applied). It's a fresh install, and I have a complete set of floppies and
> disks, including the development CD. The system seems to be working great!
> I've burned a CD with OmniWeb 2.7 beta 3 and untar'ed it on the system.
> Unfortunately, when I try to open an HTML document, it briefly comes up
> with the browser window, then crashes. You can find OmniWeb here:
> http://files.omnigroup.com/software/Archive/NEXTSTEP/OmniWeb/
>
> I'm not all too familiar with NeXTSTEP, so I'm not sure how I'd go about
> debugging this. But I figured I'd check here first to see if anyone has a
> recommended browser for NeXTSTEP 3.3. I would prefer to keep it at 3.3 and
> not move onto OPENSTEP if possible, just to keep things original.
>
> I also have Nexus, but I can't even seem to get it to open its browser at
> all. Document -> Open does nothing at all. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

Kyle,
	Congratulations on the cool new system!
	I have OmniWeb running on my non-turbo cube. It occasionally crashes, but leaves the system up, and most sessions I get through with no trouble. I’ll check version number tonight and update you.

	How much memory is in your system?
	How much disk space left?

	There is a distributed.net client - you can be the second NeXT contributing to RC5-72:

http://www.distributed.net
http://www.distributed.net/Download

	But obviously, we need to get your browser playing first.
					- Mark