flash (or ide) storage for unibus 11?

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Tue Nov 24 17:21:33 CST 2015

Noel wrote:
> I wrote:
>     > Any plans to allow USB "target" (as opposed to "host" -- I dunno if
>     > those are the correct terms)
>
> 'host' and 'device' are the two modes for USB, IIRC.
>
>     > to allow the board to be connected to a modern computer as a
>     > peripheral?
>
> Not sure I see the purpose? Any of the storage devices (SD card, or thumb
> drive) can of course be pulled out and plugged into another machine.

Of the top of my head:
Simulated serial port to MCU "console" and/or simulated q/unibus SLU(s)
Simulated ethernet to MCU internal network and/or simulated q/unibus NIC
Block device access to "unmounted" flash partitions

I suppose "host" ports can used to support physical USB dongles of
various sorts (serial, ethernet), but I guess my orientation is "why
connect extra hardware that can be simulated?"

Other wishy things:
memory region visible to q/unibus as boot rom
ability to halt/reset the q/unibus (PDP-11) processor
 (making the MCU into a "front end")

If it's possible to make a board that's operable without an MCU,
design the board so that it accepts a processor in "gumstix" or SODIMM
form factor, and expose connections for USB/ethernet.  Linux has
"gadget" support for simulating various flavors of USB devices on a
'device' port.