Thoughts on manual database design?

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Fri Oct 2 17:53:49 CDT 2015

The descriptions are not the keys to any table, but the names sometimes
are, if there hasn't been a reason to use a different key.

For example:

Location is the key to the Location table.

Location . Cabinet is the key to the Cabinet table - cabinets are not
necessarily unique unto themselves but are unique within a location.
(Well, actually, I plan to make them globally unique, but didn't want to
design the database to require it).

ArtifactID is the key to the Manual_Artifact table.
   Location . Cabinet are columns in the Manual_Artifact table.
   They are also foriegn keys (i.e., keys to the Cabinet table).

If I cared about the color of a cabinet, that would be a column in the
cabinet table.  The artifact would not care what color the cabinet was.
  Color would not be a key.

If a cabinet got renamed, then the Artifacts would have to change as
well.  (This is why purists would suggest adding a separate numeric key
to the cabinet table.  I am not worried about that happening - there
isn't any reason, really, to rename a cabinet.).

HOWEVER, if a cabinet got moved then the Location in both the Cabinet
and the Manual_Artifact table would have to change.  That is actually
plausible (as a "Box" is one kind of cabinet - and those *do* move), so
this gives me some reason to add such an invented key that I had not
thought of before, so I think I will make that change to add a
autoincrement key to the cabinet table.

I don't like to invent these separate autoincrement keys without a good
reason - but am perfectly happy to if I find such a reason.

No, there is no magic with respect to the database doing updates.

JRJ