Troubleshooting a 286.. oscope level!

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Sat Oct 3 23:10:32 CDT 2015

> Did you only replace those small green Nichicon parts? If so, I would
> inspect/test the others as well. My experience with these type of early mixed
> SMD/through-hole boards is that some companies tried to reflow them with the
> small electrolytics already in place which would damage their seals and cause
> them to leak as they aged. It doesn't seem to be specific to any particular
> brand/series either as I've seen Nichicon, Nippon, Panasonic, etc all
> affected by this.

I only replaced the one style that was leaking on the mainboard, there is
also a bunch of others I think that are smaller.

On the driver board that runs the LCD I recapped it as well. I'll go back
and look at the smaller caps. I put the oscope on the power lines and
didn't see crazy ripple, but I only used an analog 20mhz tektronix not the
crazy heavy old HP thing with the high frequency.

> If a new set of BIOS EPROMs doesn't fix it, it might be time to look into an
> in circuit emulator for the 80286. PODs for LCC sockets do exist, although
> they might be harder to find than a POD for the PLCC or PGA versions.

Hmmm that would be cool :-)

Hopefully it doesn't get to that though.

--
Ethan O'Toole