VMS and supported VAX hardware

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Oct 4 22:45:19 CDT 2015

On 10/04/2015 12:18 AM, Zane Healy wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2015, at 5:21 PM, Jon Elson <elson at pico-systems.com> wrote:
>
>> No, absolutely not.  I know that 4.3-4.7 will not run (properly) on a KA-650.  In general, it boots up, but doesn't have a machine check handler that is compatible with the 650 architecture.  I ran into that one myself.
> That's interesting, my system with a KA-650 ran 4.x originally, I forget the actual version, but I think it was 4.6.  Sadly it was on the RD53 that came with the system, and the RD53 cratered before I could get a backup. :-(

Somebody gave me a KA-650, and I seem to recall I was
running 4.7 on my home system.  I seem to recall that when I
plugged the KA-650 in, it complained about something like
the machine check handler did not support the KA-650.  Thus
was all QUITE a number of years ago, so I could be wrong
about the specifics.  Anyway, it seemed the choice was to
run 5.1 with the 650, and have to deal with the license
issues, or just keep running 4.7 with  no license on the
KA-630, which is what I did.

I think VMS 4.7 would let the system manager do stuff on it,
but would not let general users log on, with the 650.

Jon