Tape cleaner on eBay

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 7 14:46:57 CDT 2015

On 2015-Oct-06, at 11:24 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> However, I am still looking for a an 800 BPI NRZI-capable drive.

I have an HP 7970A - 9-track, 800BPI - with my HP 2116. I wrote monitor commands to exercise it and do tape dumps from it.

They're uncommon compared to 1600 & > BPI  drives, figured that was because the 800 standard was older and saw a shorter life before being superseded, but are such drives that rare or hard to come by?

(I rather wished it was 1600 so I could read more-common tapes.)