Computers in Election Vigils - take two

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Fri Oct 9 11:54:28 CDT 2015

On 10/09/2015 4:50 AM, Alexandre Souza wrote:
> lucky you. In Brazil we use vote machines made by diebold, which are as
> weak in security as a carton box. And no independent entity can ressearch
> its failures.

After the fiasco about the Deibold machines changing votes during the
Bush election of 2000, Brazil opted for them?

That says a lot about your government I'm afraid. Not unlike US states
that use Deibold equipment where there is no paper ballot to confirm the
results after the voting is closed.

That is not democratic at all!

Canada still uses paper ballots for our federal elections. Our election
voting stations have scrutineers who are volunteers from the various
political parties running who watch over the proceedings and can call
for assistance if something unusual happens.

Our local city election (Vancouver) uses a paper ballot that is read
electronically, but the ballots exist in paper and can be counted by the
various party scrutineers if they wish (and it happens in closely fought
ridings).

Canada has had trouble with fake phone calls directing voters to
non-existent polling stations in an effort to change the outcome where
ridings are close (the candidates have almost equal chance of winning).
This was traced to our current government's political party - and the
governments' response was to change the way Elections Canada can report
problems and help people to get out and vote - they made it harder....
sigh.

We shall see what happens on Oct 19 when our federal election happens.

John :-#(#

> a13stesk at student.his.se>:
>
>> tor 2015-10-08 klockan 16:48 -0700 skrev Chuck Guzis:

If the original poster can provide the link(s) folks may want to use
other methods to watch streaming video...