Fair price and ways to find a teletype

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Oct 15 14:59:06 CDT 2015

On 2015-Oct-14, at 11:52 AM, Brad wrote:
> I appreciate the advice and I'll keep my eyes out.  Vancouver hasn't really been a great place to find these kinds of things; I tend to be totally reliant on ebay, and as mentioned US shipping up to here has skyrocketed (not to mention our CDN dollar tanking).  I guess mostly because Vancouver is relatively young and 40-50 years ago would not have been large enough to have a lot of this kind of thing around.  I never see anything that vintage in our classifieds/craigs/buysell/etc.

Vancouver region:

Two years ago Rob and I got two 28s at the radio museum going as well as a 33.
Getting the 28s functioning was in preparation for a movie shoot.
The 33 was, well, it's a 33 and we're working on these things.
Still have a 15 and a Lorenz (15-class knock off) to work on when I can get back to major projects.

In 1976 when I was working with my dad's friend on building his IMSAI, he had a plastic-wrapped 33-ASR
waiting in a corner for the computer to be ready. I suspect it was a refurbished unit, but when the plastic
came off it looked as good as new. And yes, when the IMSAI was ready we proceeded to toggle in the bootstrap,
load MS BASIC via the 33 paper tape reader, and type in a BASIC program.

Vancouver was a smaller city back in the 70s but I think teletypes were as dense here as they were anywhere.
Being somewhat remote but a major port city and center for transportation and shipping, communications was
important - there may have been more teletypes here than typical.

Currently, I know of two other 28s in the Vancouver region (not meaning to imply any of them are available though).

The radio museum threw out a 35-ASR 15 years ago. There may have been another 1 or 2 that were discarded.
Yup, hindsight is great.