8" hard sector (Was DG S/130 status)

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:20:48 CDT 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Chris Elmquist wrote:

> The photos are of the 10-hole punch.  We also did a 16-hole as Dwight
> has mentioned and he as a few of those still available.
>
> Dwight, I double checked the metal and we're both mis-remembering.
> It's not aluminum or stainless but just tool steel that Russ polished.
> You can stick a magnet to it.   Therefore, probably keep these out of
> the humidity or they will rust.

Very timely.  I had an occasion to drag out my 10-hole punch yesterday and
modify a couple of diskettes for my N*.  The first time around I had a lot
of tearing that resulted in the dreaded "hanging chads".  When I took a
close look at the die plate I noticed an irregular raised burr around all
the holes.  After taking some fine-grit sandpaper to the surface and
leveling the holes it started working a lot better.

Maybe this will be helpful to other users.