Up for Auction: Memory from the First Computer in Space

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 28 19:10:20 CDT 2015

On 2015-Oct-28, at 4:41 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 2015, at 7:32 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:

>>> Seems like it's worth is totally dependent on its provenance...how do you
>>> prove that?
>>
>> Not a proof in entirety of the claim, but from a ref and looking at the closeup pics from the auction website, it is an unusual form of core memory where the cores have two holes through them, like a blocky figure 8, apparently an aspect of a technique to achieve non-destructive readout. This is quite unusual and would go some ways to showing a provenance to the Gemini project.
>>
> I didn't realize there is any such thing as non-destructive read core memory.   Google does turn up a few obscure articles about such things.  It doesn't seem to have caught on, and I wonder why it was used here.
>
> So that phrase actually may be accurate.  But does that clearly tie it to Gemini?  And even if it does, that doesn't amount to provenance as a flight item; it might just as easily have been a spare, or a failed test module, or something similar that never left the ground.
>
> 	paul

No, it doesn't, without more research  (that's why I qualified the observation with "not a proof in entirety").
I'm just noting:

	- A source describes this type of memory as being used in the Gemini computer.

	- It's a very unusual form of core memory - I had never heard of it before either -
	   so there's not a lot of other equipment for it to have come from.
	   The techique may even only ever have been used in Gemini.

	- The matrix size of 4096 is consistent with that described for Gemini, although that is a common matrix size.