Emulex QD32

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Fri Oct 30 11:37:35 CDT 2015

On 10/30/2015 9:42 AM, Christian Corti wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a MicroVAX II that has an SMD disk attached to an
> Emulex QD32 controller. I need to test and/or format the disk and so I'm
> looking for images of the Emulex diagnostic floppies (should be RX50
> AFAIK). Those found at http://www.headcrashers.org/comp/rx50/ boot, but
> I have not the faintest idea of how to start anything in there; even a
> "DIR" gives only an error, so I assume they are faulty/incomplete.
> That's what I get:

>   2..1..0..
>
> Emulex VAX Monitor V1.2  MicroVAX I  16-SEP-1985 09:00:00
>

> uEVM>DIR
>
> ---> ERROR: PHYSICAL READ ERROR

I also have a QD32. I have Emulex diagnostics, but on a TK50, and I
don't have an image, nor do I have any diagnostic documentation.

However, when I ran the diagnostic (many YEARS ago) on my uVax II
(FVD32M) it was self-explanatory.

The tape is VX9962004 Rev J.

My notes say:

FQD01M is the MSCP FORMAT program for a QD32 (and QD01 and SC03) for a
PDP-11.

FVD32M is the MSCP FORMAT program for a QD32 (and QD01 and SC41 and
SC03) on a uVax.  So this is the one you want.

HELP is supposed to give help.
DIR is supposed to list the diagnostics.

> Is there by any chance also a diagnostic manual for this stuff?
>
> Christian

There is an Emulex QD32 manual on bitsavers, but it doesn't seem to have
any info on the diagnostics.

JRJ